POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available : Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:33:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 18 Aug 1998 15:33:31
Message: <35D9C930.F335F194@iro.umontreal.ca>
Stephen Lavedas wrote:

> I rendered using the PII compile on a K6 200 it was more that 100%
> slower on a 640x480 image of a bridge.
> (Times were 3:23 for the optimized, 1:38 for the regular)

ohhh... that's bad. Are you sure that nothing else was running at
the same time? That's pretty weird... anyway, you're the first to
tell me that it slowed down, because everybody that tried it reported
speedups, not slowdowns.

What Peter Popov wrote:

> >> Cool!
> >
> > A friend of mine compiled POV for Pentium Pro using MSVC5.0 max speed
> > optimisations. On a K6 ('cause I use one) it yields ~14% speed-up under NT
> > and ~5-6% under 95. What about your version? Anyway, I am downloading it
> > even now (5:50 a.m. local time!), but I was just curious if you can tell me
> > something beyond skyvase.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > ---Peter

...is basically what I get from people who tries my version. Would you
do the experiments in the different order? Also, what is the scene? How
much memory do you have? Maybe one paid the penalty of getting stuff
into virtual memory...?

Or the K6 200 behaves really differently than the real Pentium 2 ?

Tell me more, I think this might be an important problem.

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topics: data compression,
pig### [at] jspumontrealca          signal processing,
ste### [at] researchattcom           non stationnary signals
                                  and wavelets.
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon