POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Specularity mapping : Re: Specularity mapping Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:26:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Specularity mapping
From: Tim Glover
Date: 18 Aug 1998 13:44:21
Message: <35D9AF3C.2107@nettally.com>
Nice code.  But still doesn't solve my problem.  Thanks for the try,
though.

I did read the FINE manual.  POVRAY doesn't support specularity based on
an image map as it does support normal perturbation based on a (bump)
image map.

Perhaps an example might help.

Imagine a sheet of shiny stainless steel with hundreds of small dirty
bronze rivets.
Imagine a bump map of the rivet heads applied to cause small bumps
Now imagine a specularity map applied so that the rivet heads do not
gleam like the shiny stainless steel.

Now instead, imagine trying to do this by modeling each rivet and
attaching a different
texture (with varying specularity) to rivets and background stainless
steel.

By the way - POVRAY is a little misleading in it's use of the term
specularity, having both specular highloghts (controlled by ROUGHNESS
and SPECULAR keyords) and specular reflection (controlled by the
REFLECTION keyword).  It looks like what I want is specular highlights.

Thanks again.

Tim G.

> // RTFM once in a while, would you?

<snip>