POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available : Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:27:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.01 compiled for Pentium 2 available
From: Steven Pigeon
Date: 18 Aug 1998 02:31:42
Message: <35D911FB.470675E3@iro.umontreal.ca>
Peter Popov wrote:

> Cool!
>
> A friend of mine compiled POV for Pentium Pro using MSVC5.0 max speed
> optimisations. On a K6 ('cause I use one) it yields ~14% speed-up under NT
> and ~5-6% under 95. What about your version? Anyway, I am downloading it
> even now (5:50 a.m. local time!), but I was just curious if you can tell me
> something beyond skyvase.
>
> Regards,
>
> ---Peter

What I found:

Parser is twice as fast.

Meshes are about 30% faster.

Average speed up is about 15% as reported by many
users... However, they all had Pentium 2's, and not K6's.

and:

-- Some minor bugs were corrected.
-- Some (minor) features were added, namely:
(in the currently available version on my web page)
   ETA counter, PPS with 2 digit precision (ex: 0.15 pps),
   pixel-in-line progress gadget,
(in the soon-to-be-on-my-web-page version)
   Wheel mouse support about everywhere, except in
   the editor window (because I can't compile it, my version
   of Delphi is too old), Render window refresh bug repaired
   (this bug was that sometimes the render window did not
   refresh correctly when another application changed the
   palette), ETA counter bug fix (eh... these things happens!),
   and... and... what else have I added or changed....?

Eventually, I'm going to profile the whole thing to see where CPU
time goes. Maybe I'll rewrite some small parts.

Best,

    S.

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topics: data compression,
pig### [at] jspumontrealca          signal processing,
ste### [at] researchattcom           non stationnary signals
                                  and wavelets.
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon