POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Height fields? : Re: Spherical Height fields? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical Height fields?
From: K  Tyler
Date: 9 Aug 1998 15:16:44
Message: <35CDD93D.43342AE8@pacbell.net>
Jerry Anning wrote:

> Bret Slivka wrote:
>
> > I'm working on a 3d model of the planet Earth. I am trying to figure out
> > how to take this elevation map, turn it into a heightfield and somehow
> > "wrap" this heightfield around a sphere. but i'm a little stumped
>

> Incidentally, if your elevation map is from a freely available source, I
> would like to see a link.  I have been looking for such a map for my own
> experiments along these lines.
>
> Jerry Anning
> cle### [at] dholcom

---  See my post at povray.binaries.images.

I just posted two images.

One to be used as a grey scale height_field map.

The second is a full color overlay scaled the same
for image mapping over the first..

I believe both were generated taking into account
the distortion problem associated with mapping
onto a sphere and have been corrected accordingly.

Respectfully

K.Tyler