POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical Height fields? : Re: Spherical Height fields? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:30:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spherical Height fields?
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 9 Aug 1998 08:49:53
Message: <35CD8CE7.FC0655E@flash.net>
Bret Slivka wrote:

> Hello group.
>
> I'm working on a 3d model of the planet Earth. I am trying to figure out
> how to take this elevation map, turn it into a heightfield and somehow
> "wrap" this heightfield around a sphere. but i'm a little stumped, so I
> thought I'd tap into the vast knowledge of this collective for guidance.

Features on the surface are under 10 km.  Yet the equator-to-
pole distance is 10 Mm --- 1000 to one.  Therefore for any
real purpose the Earth is smooth -- use textures
instead if you want anything approaching realism.

But this avoids the point...

POV doesn't support general surface extrusions, and mapping of
height fields is a form of surface extrusion.  Or similary,
it doesn't support superlinear transformations, and spherical
mapping is superlinear.  So I don't think there is an easy
answer.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/