POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : What have I done? : Re: What have I done? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:33:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What have I done?
From: K  Tyler
Date: 6 Aug 1998 16:41:46
Message: <35C9F8B3.6AD4D4DB@pacbell.net>
Doug Finch wrote:

> But <0,0,0> * 1 = <0,0,0> !!!

> And if you run this POV file you'll see that it displays a white
> transparent circle (not even a sphere). I still don't understand. Plus
> you see that in my source, I an NOT multipling anything!
>
> Did you run this file?

Yes! After which I turned to the docs for an explanation.Since the phrasing used in
the docs was so similar i had answered the question.

> Thanks, but I still don't understand...

So in retrospect I will attempt to give a good guess instead.
I think what is happening is the pigment statement syntax used
is instructing pov to apply a value of 1 to all 5 functions of the
color operatives

If - pigment{rgb<0,0,0> 0} produces a solid sphere  ( I checked )

And - pigment{rgb<0,0,0> 1} produces a near totally transperent sphere  ( we both have
confrmed )

Of which probably evaluates to the equivilent of this - pigment{rgbft<1,1,1,1,1>}

I then conclude my guess to be correct.

Replace the questionable statement with pigment{rgbft<1,1,1,1,1>}
and compare the differences in the resulting image.
I'm betting they will be identical.

Have a nice render! er a day!

K.Tyler