POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : weird artifacts : Re: weird artifacts Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:27:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird artifacts
From: Dan Connelly
Date: 4 Aug 1998 22:30:24
Message: <35C7B5A6.3148D488@flash.net>
Nick Bray wrote:

>       This program has probably been discussed before but I haven't
> found any information on it. The basic problem is that when I have an
> object with both a normal applied and reflection turned on I get
> strange, ugly artifacts.

Wierd.  It seems to me to be some sort of self-reflection
due to problems with the normal calculation applied to
rays of near-grazing incidence.

It seems to be eliminated by using ambient 0 diffuse 0 --
a perfectly reflecting surface is what you want, right?

Dan

P.S. A more direct way to rotate the light is to put
a "rotate" statement in the light rather than explicit
sin and cos calculations.... it comes down to preference,
I suppose.

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/