POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : weird artifacts : Re: weird artifacts Server Time
13 Aug 2024 15:32:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: weird artifacts
From: K  Tyler
Date: 4 Aug 1998 22:35:52
Message: <35C7A8B1.EE4CC6C3@pacbell.net>
Nick Bray wrote:

>       This program has probably been discussed before but I haven't
> found any information on it. The basic problem is that when I have an
> object with both a normal applied and reflection turned on I get
> strange, ugly artifacts. Well, I'll include the source so you can see
> for yourself. I'm using v3.02 for Win 95.

    I played around with your scene for a little while and I think what you
are seeing is not an artifact, but rather the normal is giving you what your
asking it to do. With the single light source, a high degree of reflection, and
few if any other objects in the scene to be reflected in the surface finish, you

are seeng the true perturbance function of the normal.
    I did notice that changing the bumps statement to a dents statement with the

same value and scale produced a pretty good perturbed surface without the
"artifacts" your seeing.

K.Tyler