POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.utilities : Texture Editor : Re: Texture Editor Server Time
6 Oct 2024 15:23:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Texture Editor
From: K  Tyler
Date: 1 Aug 1998 07:54:52
Message: <35C2E5BD.3551F37A@pacbell.net>
Dan Connelly wrote:

> Bret Slivka wrote:
> >
> > the feature that i'd most like in a texture editor for povray is one that
> > can import textures from povray code.   From any pov source file or include
> > file.
>
> I don't think this is at all easy to implement.  With the possibility of
> includes, file i/o, macros, and texture assignments to variables and
> arrays,  it would be extremely difficult to extract textures without basically
> parsing the entire source.
>
> Dan

TextureView by Friedemann Schmidt does an excellent job on any
#declared texture in any standard pov file. Although it doesn't preview
textures inside of the body of an object statement it does a great job of
allowing you to search entire directories for #decalred textures and gives
you a choice to render each texture into a thumbnail view with pov as the
rendering engine. This ensures that what you see is what you get. As far as
the difficulty of texture extraction when it does it's directory search for
textures
it searches only for declarations of textures and ignores the rest of the pov
code.
After doing a search of my main include directory which is very extinsive by the
way it came back in about 4 min. with 1200 textures. Pretty impressive if you ask
me.

K.Tyler