POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Best Platform ? : Re: Best Platform ? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:23:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Best Platform ?
From: Nite Hawk
Date: 26 Jul 1998 14:40:17
Message: <35BB2465.C1272F82@mail.minnehaha.pvt.k12.mn.us>
Thorsten Froehlich wrote:

> In article <35BAD03F.69A60413@kjopen.globalnet.co.uk> , Nei### [at] kjopenglobalnetcouk
wrote:

> >I mean
> >    one 333MHz CPU would render faster than
> >    two 300MHz CPU's    ?
>
> With the official version and only one POV-Ray running - YES! (OK, the dual machine
might still be useful if you want to do something else during rendering - in theory
most other threads should then run on the other CPU, but modern OS are so complex, you
can never make a sure statement about what will happen in such a special case).

> Thorsten Froehlich
> e-mail: Tho### [at] csicom

	Notice he keeps saying the official version. :) If you run Linux (and I
believe this has been ported to NT, though I'm not sure how well it
works.) you can run Pov-pvm which can utilize dual procs, or rendering
over a network of machines.  It can be a bit of work to setup, but a
cluster of much cheaper cpus will usually beat out a single proc one,
unless you have ALOT, (and I mean ALOT) of geometry, in which the parse
times could outweigh the render time.  This would usually only be the
case if you have 10s of millions-billions of polys/prims, in which case
you really shouldn't be using povray anyways, there are other renderers
that can handle this many objects much nicer.