POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... : Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)... Server Time
11 Aug 2024 11:18:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "The Mummy", Voxels, and Povray (possibly Feature Request)...
From: SamuelT
Date: 22 Jul 1999 23:54:28
Message: <35B6B49D.EFC44A94@aol.com>
Very nice stuff on that webpage. It looks to me to be a mixture of
isosurface-type objects and media. Or just isosurface objects. They mention
"particles" constantly on the webpage. I would assume they are actually clumps
which are placed (and maybe merged together) to make the effects. Very cool
stuff indeed.

Samuel Benge

Equiprawn wrote:

<snip!>

> If you want to see some examples of what voxels can do, take a look at
> http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/hv2/hv2.html . This is a Voxel
> plugin for Lightwave 3D (please don't kill me! I know it's a scanline
> renderer, but it was the only visual example of voxels I could find), and I
> think you will see how powerful voxels can be.
>
> So in summary, my questions are:
>
> 1) Is Povray's media engine a voxel based engine?
> 2) If it is, then how come the images on the Lightwave 3D page look much
> cleaner and more realistic than I have ever seen Povray do?
> 3) If Povray's media engine isn't a voxel based engine, what would be the
> benefits of converting it to one (ie, do voxels have any benefits over the
> current media implementation)?
> 4) Would it be difficult to implement this in a raytracer, or specifically
> in Povray?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Equiprawn

> Wherever you go, there you are - Buckaroo Banzai
>        http://m3.easyspace.com/equiprawn/

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)