POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov 3.1 beta error : Re: Pov 3.1 beta error Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:27:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov 3.1 beta error
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 11 Jul 1998 11:27:03
Message: <35A76099.309B46A9@geocities.com>
K. Tyler wrote:
> I recieved the folloing fatal error message after a 50%
> render
>
> >> ERROR too many nested refracting objects in scene.

<snip>

>   The scene is formatted roughly as follows:
>
>   #declare Count = 0
>   #while (Count < 360)
>   box{<-1,-1,-1>,<1,1,1>scale 2  translate x*Count rotate x+y*Count pigment{bla
> bla color_map{
>   [0    rgbf*.5][1 Red*.75]}}}
>   #declare Count = Count*.1
>   #end
>
> But no where is an ior or refraction or for that
> matter any standard finish or normal statement.
>
> Because of the filter component I even tried
> upping the max_trace_level to 100 no luck.
>
> Perhaps I should explicitly declare a refraction and ior at 0 ?
>
> While I'm asking advice I ran into a problem/limitation on
> another scene I was working on last week that had the same
> basic scene structure as the one above. What I had intended
> to do was after creating one set of objects I was going to wrap
> it in a union tag it with a declared name and then using the object
> statement create multiple copies.
> Interestingly enough though pov would allow me to wrap it in a union
> and within the union statement even apply rotations and transforms
> but when I added a #declare MyObject = to the top and then tried
> use the object it spit the famous > undeclared object MyObject error.
> And I clearly declared the object at the top and there were no spelling
> errors Is this a known limitation when using math operatives to create
> objects, instead of creating a multitudes of objects statements.
> Weird I say.
> If any of this makes no sense to you that's ok because it hasn't to me so far
> either.

I don't know that I can offer any help with the first question - I did
try a quick test scene with 400 closely overlapping objects, and with a
filter value of .5 the scene rendered without problems (albeit very
slowly!), while a filter value of 1 caused POVRay to crash when it hit
the centre of the scene (and I hadn't adjusted the max_trace_level in
either case from the default).

As for the second question - not having ever encountered the error you
mentioned, I tried a test using my Object Exploder include file, set to
1000 particles (ie. objects), eg:

   #declare explode_object = ... [and other options] ...
   #declare particle_res = 10
   #declare explode_clock = 1
   #declare MyObject = #include "Explode"

   object {MyObject}

I think it's reasonable to say that Explode.inc involves a fair amount
of maths used in the creation of objects, and yet the file seems to
render (on versions 3.00e and 3.1.beta.4) without any problems.  Perhaps
a more detailed extract from the code you are trying to render would
help...