POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ups and downs of POV 3.1 : Re: Ups and downs of POV 3.1 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:24:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ups and downs of POV 3.1
From: Chris Colefax
Date: 11 Jul 1998 11:26:54
Message: <35A6E4AD.F75F6C3B@geocities.com>
Lars Wolter wrote:

> I was very happy about the anouncement of 3.1, and downloaded
> the beta nearly imidiatly, because the new File-Features,
> are so important for my Animations ( that was a good idea )
> but some of the new features, aren't that good, mainly the
> Inerface, is to much pepped up, and that it is only possible
> to render, when you save the Scene ( or is there an Menuoption to
> Turn on Raytracing in Memory ? )
> I have also an problem with the Lensflare, and Galaxy Includes
> from Chris Colefax, but both problems which do not fall under
> the new features list.
> 1. When i use the Galaxy.inc no Star-Objects are visible, but the parsing
> says there are.
>
> 2. When i use the Lensflare Effects, it breaks when parsing, and
> shows an Error when calculating the Camera Data
>
> But i think all this minor bugs are just typical beta bugs, so just get
> on with the good work, for now i will use Pov 3.0 until your next
> Beta or maybe the finished 3.1 Version arrive.

Well, I can't comment on the first subject (I'll stick with my
command-line version 'til the bitter end, thank you!), but I will try my
best with the second half.  The POV-Team was kind enough to supply me
with a pre-release beta some time ago, and there are indeed a number of
changes that must be made to make the existing include files 3.1
compatible (in the cases listed above the necessary changes apply to the
new interior {} object property, and the tightened up syntax
requirements).

I had been intending to wait for the final release of POV-Ray 3.1 to
make available updated versions of the include files; however, as there
has been a great deal of interest in the new beta (understandably so!),
and I have already received a number of messages about incompatibility
problems, I might just see my way to releasing compatible versions of
the include files in the very near future...