POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV 3.1 win GUI improvments : Re: POV 3.1 win GUI improvments Server Time
13 Aug 2024 19:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV 3.1 win GUI improvments
From: Wayne Gordon
Date: 5 Jul 1998 04:48:41
Message: <359F30B3.50B5@phoenix.net>
tim jordan wrote:

> Mikael Gustafsson wrote:

[snip]

> >from the
> > main toolbar (New, Open, ...). Besides these I can't think of any
> > improvments at the moments so keep up the good work. POV-Ray is the best
> > software I have and it keeps getting better all the time.

Yes.

> > PS. Adding the slope depentent textures that are being discussed in these
> > groups would be a major improvment.
> >
> > Mikael Gustafsson
> > mik### [at] nettifi
>
> Personally, I really dislike the new GUI look.  It's far too much like
> Internet Explorer.  I really don't like the animated scene in the top
> right, again, it's too much like browsers.

I think the look is beta is well. I do like the animated scene, but only
if it's
gonna be customizable. And paws/pause is a little corny. <g> Why is the
little
black x-mark/close button needed on the right? I almost always right
click on the
open scene file to close/render or whatever. If a close button is
needed, it
oughta be in the upper left of the toolbar, IMHO.

>  I couldn't find a way to
> disable this other than disabling the toolbar entirely.  Disabling the
> toolbar (by un-checking 'Use Toolbar' in the 'Appearance' menu) works
> immediately but if you exit and re-start POV the toolbar returns even
> though 'Use Toolbar' is still un-checked!  I also don't like the new
> icons and the background pattern behind them. It's just too busy and
> distracting.

I like the old icons much better also.

Well, I noticed if you've got the toolbar in use, turn it off, fine. But
turn it back on, and the toolbar only partially appears, and some of it
pops up on mouseover, but not all of it. I have to minimize and then
restore
to get it back. Keep single instance works with just 3.1b, but if I've
opted for multiple instances and try to launch 3.1, while 3.1b is
running, 3.1b cranks up!

[more snippage...I've only run a few of the test scenes - macros and
arrays]

But the windows stuff is minor and should be easily fixable. Beta is as
beta does, right? The meat of the improvements (media, macros, arrays,
file i/o,
etc.) are all extremely useful/powerful. Bravo.

Wayne Gordon