POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95 : Re: Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95
From: Ronald L  Parker
Date: 16 Jun 1998 22:25:13
Message: <35882848.175931634@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 15 Jun 1998 22:10:03 -0500, "William D. Hayden"
<wdh### [at] computeknet> wrote:

>Of course for Windows, I think they use Watcom, one of the better X86
>compilers.  If your comparing the Windows version versus a command line
>version, merly get Windows out of the way will help tremendously.  If
>you want to speed it up even more, pick up a Borland or Watcom compiler
>and recompile it again.  A bare bones version of each is available for
>under $100 US.  Pricey, for some, cheap for the guy doing "a 5000-frame
>animation".

Surprise!  I compiled POVRay for Windows with MS VC++ 5.0 SP3 today,
from the unmodified 3.01 sources, and it beat my official 3.02 by 10%
on skyvase, in two different resolutions.  The official benchmark
resolution took 193 seconds on the official build, and 174 on my
build, both running on a PII-233 with 64MB of memory and NT 5 Preview
Beta 1.