POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95 : Re: Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95 Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Improving the speed of POV-Ray 3.02 on Win95
From: William D  Hayden
Date: 15 Jun 1998 23:10:03
Message: <3585E20B.5C3C@computek.net>

> I recently compiled the unix-version source on a Win95 platform using
> the free GCC-compiler for windows cdk, available from www.cygnus.com.
> The libjpeg and zlib compiled just fine, as did the povray-sources.
>
> I tried rendering skyvase.pov at 640 480 with an aa setting of 0.2 (if
> I remember correctly), The new version completed in 2 minutes and 6
> seconds. The old pov-ray binary took 2 minutes and 20 seconds.
>
> That's about 10% faster, or 10% "less slow" depending on how you look
> at it.
>
> Not a lot, but if you're doing a 5000-frame animation it might be
> benificial.

And a commercial, native compiler is even faster.  GCC is a known
performance dog, but then it never claimed to produce fast code.  It has
the advantage of being free, and available on a wide number of
platforms.  I ALWAYS compile POV-Ray when I get it for my Solaris box.
I noticed a 20-30% speed increase over their GCC compiled release.

Of course for Windows, I think they use Watcom, one of the better X86
compilers.  If your comparing the Windows version versus a command line
version, merly get Windows out of the way will help tremendously.  If
you want to speed it up even more, pick up a Borland or Watcom compiler
and recompile it again.  A bare bones version of each is available for
under $100 US.  Pricey, for some, cheap for the guy doing "a 5000-frame
animation".

--

William D. Hayden