POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:23:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: povray org admin team
Date: 3 Jun 1998 11:29:34
Message: <3577695e.43768355@news.povray.org>
>Also, the STOP's are a pain. Whenever an app crashes badly, NT generates a
>STOP; just what it sounds like, a STOP halts the operating system and forces
>you to restart.

An app (presuming it's a user-level app) cannot (to my knowledge) induce a stop
(i.e. bugcheck). Only a faulty kernel-mode component (i.e. ring 0) can do this.

This generally means a bug in a device driver. It is possible, of course, for
an app to induce a bugcheck (AKA BSOD, the 'Blue Screen Of Death') if it is
communicating with a device driver in such a way as to flush the bug out. Also,
some apps come with their own kernel-mode drivers (though this is uncommon).
However, the same principle applies there - the bug is in the device driver.