POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone know about NT? : Re: Anyone know about NT? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:16:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Anyone know about NT?
From: povray org admin team
Date: 3 Jun 1998 11:16:55
Message: <35756768.43266173@news.povray.org>
d93### [at] efdlthse (Michael Lundahl) wrote:

>In article <357370fc.8075051@news.povray.org>,
>	new### [at] DESPAMpovrayorg (povray.org admin team) writes:
>
>>I would often see Win95 crash
>>several times a day. In the six months I've been running NT, it has crashed
>>perhaps five times. Occasionally (maybe once every few days) it gets into a
>>funny state and I'll choose to reboot it, but hard crashes are very unusual.
>
>You need to reboot Windows machines!? And they crash?!?!

Unfortunately, yes .. with all Microsoft's efforts, they have yet to reach the
level of reliability of, say, the FreeBSD machine that runs this news server,
or kernels such as QNX or even [ugh] OS-9 (which is what I do a lot of work in
- uptimes of several years are not unknown).

Nevertheless, they are on their way ; the NT kernel design is very nice. In
general, when I get problems with NT, it's because one of the higher-level
components gets screwy (in particular, the GUI). Unlike Unix, where you can
just CTL-ALT-BKSP exit from and restart XFree86 if it goes ga-ga, with NT there
is no such option (though perhaps there should be).