POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Square Landscapes !!, Please Help !! big problems !! : Re: Square Landscapes !!, Please Help !! big problems !! Server Time
13 Aug 2024 21:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Square Landscapes !!, Please Help !! big problems !!
From: Jon A  Cruz
Date: 2 Jun 1998 02:44:17
Message: <35739F40.46BE8625@geocities.com>
Oliver Batchelor wrote:

> I am making a graphical RPG game with tiled land and a directly overhead
> camera and need some help.
>
> I created a highfield and scaled it by 30, 1, 30 translated it by -15,
> 0, -15 to put it back in the middle of the whole thing, put the camera
> directly overhead at 0, 40, 0, changed the renderer to render at 100 by
> 100 resolution. And I had 3 problems.
>
> 1) Firstly the Land didnt come  out square at all  it came out as a
> rectangle, being higher than it was wide.!!!

Check out your camera up and right vectors. That is usually the way to
change pixel aspect ratio.

> 2)I don't know where to  put the camera to get all of the highfeild
> exacly fitting into the rendered screen. (The Resulting tga had parts of
> black around the sides or It didnt contain the very edges of the
> highfeild)
> This is essential because the pattern I use to get the file going into
> the highfeild is a tiled pattern and the result needs also to be tilable
> to be able to put the images next to each other with no clear meeting of
> the 2 tiles.

I'll punt on this one for now.

> 3)What type of tga files does Pov produce, and is there any way of
> making pov produce 16 bit Uncompressed tga files only ? (I can only load
> 16 bit uncompressed files not any other type of tga)

From the docs:
> +FT	Uncompressed Targa-24 format

To change it to something else (You sure you can't handle 24-bit?), you
could get Image Alchemy. Quite a handy tool. I've got a link to it at
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Network/4453/jon.htm#links (HSI
Alchemy Now)

alchemy -a -16 old\*.tga

Voila!

Also, from the help file/docs:

> Most of these formats output 24 bits per pixel with 8 bits for each of red, green
and blue data. PNG allows you to optionally specify the output bit depth from 5 to 16
bits for each of the red, green, and blue colors, giving from 15 to 48 bits of color
information per pixel. The default output depth for all formats is 8 bits/color (16
million possible colors), but this may be changed for PNG format files by setting
Bits_Per_Color=n or by specifying +FNn, where n is the desired bit depth.