POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Toooooo Many TMP ideas! : Re: Toooooo Many TMP ideas! Server Time
13 Aug 2024 23:25:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Toooooo Many TMP ideas!
From: Cliff Bowman
Date: 16 May 1998 17:02:37
Message: <355dfe62.4492092@news.povray.org>
On 16 May 1998 02:24:11 GMT, "Gary Shannon" <reb### [at] teleportcom>
wrote:

>Nick Portelli <por### [at] pilotmsuedu> wrote in article
><355### [at] pilotmsuedu>...
>> Ya right.  How much does a master cost?  DVD will never replace the video
>> tape.  Cd-rom is bigger and better than floppy disk, but we still have
>> floppies.  Beside they have not decided on a standard yet for recording.
>>

>I didn't think CD's would ever replace vinyl records.  As for mastering, CD
>ROM burning units are readily available, DVD burner should become available
>soon.
>
>Anyway, it was just a thought.  Maybe we could even use regular CD's to
>distribute it so people could view it on their PC's.  In the long run
>what's important is that we decide on the best and most cost-effective way
>of distributing it, whatever that turns out to be.

I'd stick with the digital transport mechanism ideas for the moment
(CD's or a single DVD). RAM DVD are likely to be standardised by the
time the movies finished I'd have thought, and a transfer to film/tape
would probably be prohibitive now. However, if transfer to tape
becomes more cost effective at some stage then switch to it - but we
already  know we can do the digital stuff :)

Cheers,

Cliff Bowman
Why not pay my 3D Dr Who site a visit at
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dimension/7855/
PS change ".duffnet" to ".net" if replying via e-mail