POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Mirrors in povray : Re: Mirrors in povray Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:22:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Mirrors in povray
From: Mike Hough
Date: 9 May 1998 06:02:42
Message: <355429C2.FAED0029@aol.com>
Some say that POV-Ray doesn't do true radiosity, which may just mean that the
method is a little old.  I hear many people are doing reflective light, reflective
caustics, and true area lights with radiosity.  There is one guy who posts to
c.g.r.r that has a method he calls photon mapping that looks like it would work.  I
also tried a program called helios that some others may have run across on the
web.  There is a book that goes along with it.  I tried the program and it does
rendering entirely with radiosity, no raytracing.  Only takes a minute or so to
render with it too, and the results are quite amazing.  Makes smooth area lights
and simulates light bouncing all over the place.  I'm thinking the POV-Ray team
with adress radiosity in version 4, since they don't seem to be working on it now
and it's still considered experimental.

-Mike