POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV : Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV Server Time
11 Aug 2024 17:15:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parallel / Distributed Network Rendering Included in POV
From: Daniel Matthews
Date: 22 Nov 2001 17:05:22
Message: <3551831.rtiCG3Ldii@3-e.net>
Distributing rendering in chunks is rather crude, it is far better to write
code that spreads computational loops and recursion etc. over as many
threads as possible and then run the code on a MOSIX cluster where the
operating system automatically distributes the threads among the available
CPUs.

I mentioned this recently as but got zero replies.
:o(

I wanted to know if anyone has profiled POVRay to see where all the work
was being done so that I could use the Cilk system to create a massively
threaded version of POVRay that could run across a MOSIX cluster.

There is also a PVM version of POV but last time I looked it was based on
an old version. I was hoping to look at the 3.5 source code some time soon
and use that as a basis for a Cilk-MOSIX_Povray variant.

This would have to be the Linux/Unix version as MOSIX is not an option for
a closed source operating system such as Windows, unless Microsoft make a
MOSIX version of Windows XP (XS?) :o)  available.