POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Advice on large scenes ? : Re: Advice on large scenes ? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:22:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Advice on large scenes ?
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 29 Apr 1998 20:59:07
Message: <3547CCDB.41C6@chop.swmed.edu>
STUDENT wrote:
> > How much free disk do you have? Is adding another drive an option?
> > Defrag, as IIRC win can't use fragmented space for it's swapfile.
>
>   More disk space sounds like the answer. However if small gains are valuable
> you might try DOS version if you are using rather than using windows.  It
> says in the documentation that it is faster. (Is this true?)
>
> Roger

  It seems that I have forgotten to mention the hardware it is running
on:
  DecAlpha 500 Mhz, 256 MB ram and 2 GB swap space. (OS = Redhat Linux)

  The final run requires about 1.2 GB of swap space and of course uses
all of the available ram ( ca 254 Mb ).
However, it seems to experience arithmetic traps or segmentation faults
more often than I like. The latter problem is probably due to memory
management issues. ( Fortunately povray can be restarted and usually
continues without crashing again at the same trace).

Is there anyone who has experience with these problems? Would it help to
recompile povray using more or less optimization ? ( I compiled it with
the highest optimization on DecAlpha Digital UNIX V4.0C )

   Lothar