POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Advice on large scenes ? : Advice on large scenes ? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:24:21 EDT (-0400)
  Advice on large scenes ?
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 28 Apr 1998 12:58:13
Message: <35460AA5.41C6@chop.swmed.edu>
Dear Colleagues,

  I wonder if someone can give me some advice as to how to optimize
povray to render very large scenes. My scene contains about 250000 frame
level objects and povray allocates about 800 MB. Needless to say that
the computer is running out of disk space (swap space) as soon as
anything else but povray runs on it. So far I am just doing some tests
but I anticipate a few crashes while povray is rendering the final
scene. Since parsing of the input takes about 1 hour and time is rather
limited I guess my question is whether it is possible to speed up at
least the parsing process. Is there a way to save the parsed scene in a
binary file so that one can re-use it after a crash ? ( I am using
povray 3.0 )

Any other thoughts ?

  Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

   Lothar Esser