POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" : Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:10:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!"
From: povray org admin team
Date: 26 Apr 1998 07:45:28
Message: <35441dac.27198399@news.povray.org>
"Bryan Garnett-Law" <bjm### [at] wantreecomau> wrote:

>Your idea sounds like a good one... mirror web/ftp sites around the world.
>
>;-)
>
>Bryan
>Brian W. Brown wrote in message
><3542B087.B9FD8A37@appstate.campus.mci.net>...
>>Has anyone considered taking a 'distributed' approach?  E.g. there are
>>many POV related sites out in internet land...what if the povray.org site
>>only served as a central location for accessing POV pages located
>>thoughout the internet.  Those of us with some space and some bandwidth
>>could host a portion of the site...the povray webmasters could have access
>>to various sites to update pages as needed.

This is one approach we can take, but we really don't want to. Apart from
everything else, we still have a disk space problem. Our ISP charges us
US$1.00 per meg per month for everything over 100 megs. We simply can't
have a decent site to mirror with that sort of cost (remember our old
filebase ? 1000mb or so ?). And if we can't have the master files on our own
server, it becomes really hard to administer, especially if we allow uploads.

-- POV-Team