POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" : Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!"
From: Wayne Gordon
Date: 25 Apr 1998 03:36:54
Message: <35419296.72B3@phoenix.net>
povray.org admin team wrote:

> "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!"

[mucho snippage]

>         It is painful for me to be so blunt but I must remind everyone
> that POV-Ray existed before povray.org and POV-Ray can continue
> without povray.org if need be.  We are close to folding up the whole
> operation unless we can get corporate sponsorship for the site.
>         We do not want individual donations from users.  It would be
> too hard to handle hundreds of $5-$10 donations.  Also the POV-Team is
> not officially incorporated either as profit or non-profit.  Donations
> can create tax problems for us.

[more snippage]

>         The important thing to remember during this crisis is that the
> 5-year-old kid in me and in the other POV-Team members is still fully
> committed to keeping POV-Ray itself fully free for the 5-year-old kids
> in you.  We will not sell POV-Ray itself, but it is beginning to cost
> us quite a bit of money just to offer it to you for free.  If we hope
> to be able to deliver it for free, we're going to need some help.
>         cy
>
> p.s. feel ree to re-post this to other newsgroups or online services.

I haven't the foggiest idea about tax ramifications and whatnot and
completely sympathize. I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that
we'd all like to help. However, aside from buying multiple copies of
the CD, it seems there isn't a way for the average user to help. Could
a non-profit entity be set up, kinda like a charity but not legally
tied to the POV-team, dedicated strictly to the online publication and
distribution of POV? Hell, I'm no lawyer, but it seems there's gotta
be a way if advertising or corporate sponsorship doesn't become
available.

Just my 2 cents.