POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : DEM2POV Problem? : Re: DEM2POV Problem? Server Time
14 Aug 2024 01:21:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DEM2POV Problem?
From: Tim Riley
Date: 20 Apr 1998 11:47:32
Message: <353B6E14.F5058084@its.bldrdoc.gov>
STUDENT wrote:

> I have been trying to use DEM data for Eastern Australia found at
> http://edcwww.cr.usgs.gov/landdaac/gtopo30/gtopo30.html. Unfortunately
> all
> the dem2tga & dem2pov converter's do not seem to like it.
>
> Would anyone be able to:
> a) direct me to alternate Oz data,
> b) direct me to a converter that will work, or
> c) tell me where I am going wrong. Below is a summary of the process I
> am now
> using and the error messages. (It appears the DEM file type is
> incompatible?)

GTOPO30 is a binary format, not DEM format. Consequently, neither of
the two programs you mention will work with it. The GTOPO30 archive file
should contain a text file explaining the file format. It isn't too hard
to write a small program to convert it to a TGA file and use it as a
heightfield.

|               Tim Riley                 |
| Institute for Telecommunication Science |
|     National Telecommunications and     |
|       Information Administration        |
|          US Dept. of Commerce           |
|            Boulder, Colorado            |
|      E-mail:tri### [at] itsbldrdocgov      |
|     Per favore spenga le Sue scarpe     |
|  davanti abbandonare il nave spaziale.  |