POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: choosing CPU : Re: choosing CPU Server Time
14 Aug 2024 09:28:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: choosing CPU
From: Hans Wachtmeister
Date: 15 Apr 1998 05:54:22
Message: <353483CE.C121D32A@tlth.lth.se>
Hi!

> My G3/233 can render SKYVASE.POV at 640*480 with antialiasing (the
> classical povbench options) in 00:02:31 while a PII/233 in 00:03:18.
>
> 40% faster.

Another interesting thing to look at is the environtment you're running. (I'm
gonna get flamed for this, I know...) On my machine (intel 200MMX blablabla),
running windows95 all priority to POV, skyvase.pov render in 4.43 and on the
same machine running Linux it renders in 4.03 (with normal priority) that's a 40
second decrease in rendering time. I haven't tested the speed in DOS but i will,
probably with the result that it's a lot faster than win95.

Anyway, this is just meant to say that CPU isn't everything and the environment
makes quite a big difference. But then again the CPU does make a difference...

//Hans