POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: choosing CPU : Re: choosing CPU Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:12:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: choosing CPU
From: Matthew Mc Clement
Date: 5 Apr 1998 13:32:54
Message: <3527C046.1F64F13E@clara.net>
Mathias Broxvall wrote:

> Redaelli Paolo <red### [at] incit> wrote:
> > >Mathias Broxvall wrote:
> > >Seriously though, you can't compare photoshop on the G3 and PII as
>
> NOT TRUE!!! Please don't misquote me. Check your article again, you
> must have gotten the wrong name when quoting someone.

Yeah, don't misquote. It was ME, I tell you ME, that started this part
of the thread...

But more in line with this thread, I agree that photoshop is not the
best app to compare, but there are several magazines that use it as a
comparison. So what would be a good cross-platform benchmark? For raw
processing speed, I guess the byte benchmarks are reasonable, anybody
used this to compare the G3, PPC and PII?Pov might be another good
option for FPU, but I know little about the mac architecture, and so I
don't know what POV has been optimised for, or does each version have
different optimization's for different platforms? But what I would love
to see is a universal 3d benchmark, so we can see how our humble Pc's
measure upto SGI Extreme's...;-)

Cheers, Matthew

P.S. Does the mac have any good 3d accelerators?