POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray and Moray axis : Re: POV-Ray and Moray axis Server Time
16 Sep 2024 21:32:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-Ray and Moray axis
From: Johannes Hubert
Date: 28 Mar 1998 09:35:35
Message: <351D0AB7.BE0C3BDE@penttech.com>
Alan Grainger wrote:

> I don't want to start a flame war here, but why is it that a program that
> comes from POV-Ray changes the z and y axis around?  Is there a reason,
> because it is very annoying.  Also, can you change them in an option
> somewhere?

No, to my knowledge you can not change them.
As to the why: I wasn't there when it was decided, but I remember something
from the good-old DOS docs, that Moray adopted the "Z is up" scheme because
this is what the mayority of professional CAD systems use, which in their
turn have adopted it from how technical drawings are made on paper: On paper
you usually sketch the X and Y axis, that leaves the Z-axis coming "out" of
the paper -> going "up" -> Z is up!

I for my part have no problem with it at all...

Johannes.