POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : heightfield? : Re: heightfield? Server Time
19 May 2024 17:03:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfield?
From: Jerry Anning
Date: 3 Feb 1998 13:01:15
Message: <34D75B5F.5C9703CF@dhol.com>
GrimDude wrote:

>  Using a global setting of "hf_gray_16" aids in creating a smooth and
> precise field. The larger you render the first step the better the
> final
> image will appear (to a point).
>   This may not create an image as you expect it to appear, but it will
>
> nevertheless have three dimensional characteristics. I came up with
> the
> following two files to create hf's from any image. Even a black&white
> image
> can benefit from this process (and has).
>
> On the first pass, use this file to create your height_field input
> file.
> -----
>
> -----------
> // FC_HF.pov
>
> global_settings { max_trace_level 25 assumed_gamma 2.2 hf_gray_16 }
>
> object { box { <-4,-3,1>,<4,3,1.1> } texture {
>    pigment { image_map { tga "FalseColor.tga" once }
>    translate <-.5,-.5,-.5> scale <8,6,1> } } }
>
> camera { location <0,0,-5> direction z look_at 0 }
> light_source { <0,0,-65500> color rgb 1 }
> ----------------------------------
> -----------
> Then, use this file to finish it up.
> ------------------------------------
> ---------------------------------------
> -----------
> // Final.pov
> height_field { tga "FC_HF.tga" smooth rotate -90*x
> texture { pigment { image_map { tga "FalseColor.tga map_type 0 once }
> } }
> translate <-.5,-.5,-.5> scale <8,1,6> translate 1*z }
>
> camera { location <0,0,-5> direction z look_at 0 }
> light_source { <0,0,-65500> color rgb 1 }
> ----------------------------------
> -----------
> Additionally, you can rotate the height_field in the final source in
> order
> to see the 3D effects.
> --
> Paul Hinds
> gri### [at] swbellnet

Good files, Grimdude, but, especially for a case where you are trying to
accurately render a dataset, I recommend that you create the height
field with an orthographic camera and ambient 1.0 to avoid false
perspective and shading artifacts.  This also makes it easy to make the
height field exactly fit the false color image.  Also, if you set
assumed_gamma to 1.0 and set display_gamma to 2.2 (or 1.8 or whatever)
in your .ini file, your colors will have better dynamic range, there
will be less need for pumping color values over 1 (and losing some
detail), and people with nonClone machines will be able to run your
POV's and get the same results as you.  I posted a .zip a day or two ago
that illustrates these things if you are interested.  Aside from these
quibbles, it uses the same basic two step approach you describe.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom