POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : heightfield? : Re: heightfield? Server Time
19 May 2024 14:10:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfield?
From: Jarrod Hart
Date: 2 Feb 1998 03:41:48
Message: <34D586CC.34C9B5D3@chemeng.uct.ac.za>
Joe Conklin wrote:

> what are they what do they do?
>
> --
> http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/horizon/7128
> visit and sign the book
> remove "spam" to reply
>
> Joe

I will give a simple explanation because it is the only one I know.

1. You use a height field to make mountains (other stuff too, suppose).
2. A heightfield is actually a normal 2D picture (looks like one of
those arty tie-died Tshirts).
2b. Pov looks at each color in the tie-die, works out its number  (each
color is numberred), and that is the height of the mountain at that
point.
3. there are a couple of utilities you can use to generate them, and you
can even use win paintbrush, but you would have to be skilled or stupid.

4.  To use, a) generate the heightfield somehow (I use terrain maker)
                 b) do the 'insert>shapes>heightfield' thing in POV3.0
                 c) under filename, put the one you want to use