POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.scene-files : heightfield? : Re: heightfield? Server Time
19 May 2024 17:01:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: heightfield?
From: Matthew Mc Clement
Date: 31 Jan 1998 22:07:18
Message: <34D3E6E6.2018D3BA@clara.net>

>   Jarrod,
>
>    I am having a similar problem.  I am working on a project to use POV-Ray
> in Radio Astronomy.  My problem is that I have a "contour map" in false
> color that I want to use as my height field.  That way, I can get a good
> estimate of the shape of the radio source.  Do you know of anyway to do
> this?  I am basically wanting to turn a 2d map into a 3d contour map.
>
> Any help would be appreciated from anyone,
>
> Bob Ratliff
> Morehead State University
> Morehead Astrophysical Observatory

Just a little tip: If your image is in 256 colours you may want to
re-order the pallete so that the lowest colour is at top and the highest
colour is at the botto, or is that the other way round??? Anyway, povray
uses the pallete and the order of the colours in it to determine which
colour is the highest point in the image and which colour is the lowest.
The read the docs. Try 7.5.2.5(it contains all the gory details about
heightfields.)

Cheers, Matthew