POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Further POV-Ray development : Re: Further POV-Ray development Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Further POV-Ray development
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 21 Sep 2003 11:52:02
Message: <2tt041-m0q.ln1@triton.schunter.etc.tu-bs.de>
Jake wrote:
> Tim Nikias v2.0 wrote:
>
>>Don't ask. Just wait.
>

> Yeah, thought as much. It just seems that other open-source projects (eg.
> Mozilla) seem to do a better job at keeping the community posted on
> progress. This may be due to the fact that there are more people working on
> that and so significant progress is made in regular intervalls.

Oh, this once again has potential for a very long thread without any
useful result...

I'd suggest you simply realize that POV-Ray is not like any other open
source project.  This is off-topic but i am writing this answer on a
mozilla version which is crashing quite often and even if you don't
share this opinion many people like to have a reliable and well tested
program instead of one up-to-date but buggy beta version after the
other.  So much for the 'significant progress in regular intervalls'.

Keeping the community posted on progress is something different but you
should notice that the next version is a bugfix release so there are no
new features and therefore nothing to talk about.

When it comes to planning and adding new features this is different but
most new features introduced in the past few years started as unofficial
patches and where developed with quite intensive interaction with the
user community.

Christoph

Last updated 2 Sep. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______