POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A good blurred reflection with bumps : Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps Server Time
3 Aug 2024 22:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A good blurred reflection with bumps
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 6 Jan 2004 17:42:03
Message: <2rprc1-tlf.ln1@triton.imagico.de>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Well, yes, from a general point of view, and there would be cases where it
> wouldn't work perfectly, probably. But in the "real" world of 3D scenes,
> it's quite easy to see how this kind of feature can be extremely handy.
> Let's assume that, default aa settings are usually good enough and represent
> a good compromise between quality and speed (after all that's why these are
> default settings). In my experience, better aa settings are often needed for
> very specific situations: small regular patterns like grids, fine lines,
> small letterings etc. In many cases it's a just window on a wall, a logotype
> on a bottle, a plant, that sort of thing. Using high quality aa there isn't
> much of a problem because the object doesn't occupy a lot of screen estate.
> However, using the high quality aa on the entire scene is likely to bring it
> down, because a good part of the screen space is going to be taken by the
> other objects, those that were acceptable for the user with the default aa
> settings but that will get "improved" anyway (I'm not talking about
> quasi-uniform textures or surfaces there).
> About having aa defined by zones, I think still it's much more practical to
> have it defined per object. Not only it's often a object problem, as seen
> above, but when doing animation that would be the only sensible way to do it
> (one just doesn't want to define the zones frame by frame).

Well, you have not said how you think per object settings are supposed
to work.  In case of a wire grid for example you would have to set
higher quality settings for both the grid object and the background to
get it nicely antialiased and if the grid is reflective or if it only
visible as a reflection in another object it might not work at all
depending on the implementation.

I understand that per object settings seem like an exciting feature for
the user because they seem straight away to set up but i have my doubts
about the usefulness.  Maybe you could post a sample of using this
feature in C4D.  In case of radiosity per object settings would be
easier to implement BTW but in most cases it would be more important to
specify different settings for different parts of the same object.

Christoph

Last updated 25 Oct. 2003 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______