POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Emacs : Re: Emacs Server Time
30 Sep 2024 00:11:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Emacs
From: Stephen
Date: 18 Apr 2009 10:56:30
Message: <2cqju4thueh1dcc3dibgeum0fhhg3li8p3@4ax.com>
On 18 Apr 2009 06:54:52 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:

>Stephen <mcavoysAT@aoldotcom> wrote:
>> On 18 Apr 2009 06:18:09 -0400, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>

>> >  Thus I asked him if he would have preferred that I call him stupid,
>> >rather than assuming that he was just nitpicking on purpose. Fine by me
>> >either way.
>
>> You did not, you called him stupid. It doesn't mater if you used a question mark
>> at the end of your sentence or not.
>
>  It doesn't matter? So now you decide what I wanted to express with what
>I wrote?

No, no, no, no!

I decided nothing I'm telling you what a native English speaker would take from
what you wrote. I would not presume to tell you what you think. Your command of
the English language is fantastic, so good in fact that I generally forget that
it is a foreign language for you. But as Andrel has pointed out on several
occasions, to avoid confusion and offence we should use International English.
Personally I don't think that will happen especially with the Brits. (We Scots
get offended when the Southern English say that they can't understand us and
want subtitles on Scottish TV programmes.)

>  No, I didn't call him stupid. I asked him if he would have preferred me
>to call him stupid instead of assuming he was nitpicking on purpose.

Even so that is still offensive it is as good as calling him stupid. As a lesson
in culture, there are many places in the UK where if you said that to a male. It
would be a prelude to a physical fight. Trust me on this it is not a good thing
to say.

There are a few places where a woman would "glass" you too. (NB no smileys)

>If you deliberately want to interpret it in a different way, then I suppose
>there's nothing I can do about it.

Now you are presuming to know that I think but maybe if you read my reply
without prejudice you will see that I am trying to be helpful.

XXX
--

Regards
     Stephen