POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Cylinder lights and photons, Bug? : Cylinder lights and photons, Bug? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 00:18:04 EDT (-0400)
  Cylinder lights and photons, Bug?
From: Bruce D
Date: 11 Jul 2002 15:53:06
Message: <29oriukfjqgprbpmol7t0ker9mv21uefba@4ax.com>
<I have posted this message along with 2 sample images in p.b.i >

I've just started playing around with photons  (using POV3.5 Windows)

I'm getting unexpected results when using cylinder lights and photons,
I have 3 cylinder lights (red, green and blue) pointing at a
reflective box, the light 'beams' stike the box at a 45 degree and and
reflect onto another (non-reflective) box.

I would expect to get 3 distinct light patches on the non-refective
box. Instead they seem to converge on one area.

If I replace the lights with spot lights, I get the results that I
would expect.

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or a booboo on my part.

Below is the scene text that I used

// begin scene code

global_settings
{
	photons { spacing 0.005 }
}

// reflected lights

// when using spots, the results are what I expect,
//    3 distinct lit areas on the left
// when using cylinder, photons from all three
//     lights accumulate at one area

#macro spot_or_cylinder()
//	spotlight radius 1 falloff 1
	cylinder radius 0.05 falloff 0.05
#end

light_source
{
	<0.5, 0.25, -3>
	color blue 1
	spot_or_cylinder()
	point_at <0.5, 0.25, 0>
	photons { reflection on }
}

light_source
{
	<0.5, 0.5, -3>
	color green 1
	spot_or_cylinder()
	point_at <0.5, 0.5, 0>
	photons { reflection on }
}

light_source
{
	<0.5, 0.75, -3>
	color red 1
	spot_or_cylinder()
	point_at <0.5, 0.75, 0>
	photons { reflection on }
}

// reflecting box
box
{
	0, 1
	texture
	{
		pigment { color rgb 1 }
		finish { reflection 0.5 }
	}
	rotate y*45

	photons
	{
		target
		reflection on
		refraction off
		collect off
	}
}

// plain box
box
{
	0, 1.5
	texture
	{
		pigment { color rgb 1 }
	}
	rotate y*225

	photons
	{
		reflection off
		refraction off
		collect on
	}
}

camera { location <0,1,-3> look_at <0,0,0> }

light_source
{
	<-3,4,-5> color rgb 1
	photons { reflection off refraction off }
}

plane { y,0 texture { pigment { checker rgb 0, rgb 1 } } }

// end scene code