POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : PovRay Google Trends : Re: PovRay Google Trends Server Time
29 Jun 2024 11:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PovRay Google Trends
From: INVALID ADDRESS
Date: 16 Nov 2016 19:14:44
Message: <2139020809.501033939.777271.gdsHYPHENentropyAThotmaolDOTcom@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

Ah Nemesis! Good to see you still here after all these years. :)

> artists do love to fingerpaint, programmers don't (aside from wildguesses)

We might write a program that finger-paints. :p

> that's the main deal about Blender adoption vs povray decline
>
> that said, Blender is scripted in python, it can be as accurate as you want.
> Wanna scale an object to be 2x as width onscreen?  Type s2x or s3.14y or
> whatever.  There are also metric tools.

Thats what it came down to for me;  both LW and Blender use python, both
have deep UIs (though I find LW a bit more comprehensible) and both have a
big community.

So I went LW due to the UI, program and format support, etc..

> like it or not, povray is an ancient codebase geared at tech-heads with some
> artistic urges and little else.  As it is, we're lucky that there's an
> integrated povray exporter in Blender.  though with cycles now being the default
> renderer and a path-tracing at that, I wonder about its true utility...

Pov can be more though, this is what I want to see. O want it to become
faster, more easily supported by other software, and through this have its
user base grow once more.

> just look how far in the past it became:  we are still using usenet to talk
> about it.  how about some whatsapp? :p

I like this forum because of the people. Many of you have been around for
decades, and it is nice to be able to come around and chat with all of the
folks I knew long ago.

Without the people, their friendliness, and their willingness to assist and
share, Pov would never have become what it is.

Half of what makes Pov great is this community in my opinion.

Cheers!

Ian