POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" : Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!" Server Time
14 Aug 2024 07:20:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "POV-Ray is free... the internet isn't!"
From: Redaelli Paolo
Date: 26 Apr 1970 09:26:17
Message: <2040.420T883T8661875@inc.it>
>Considering the outrageous price tag on commercial art software I would
>happily pay $100 for POV-Ray.  Maybe the answer is some kind of reasonably
>priced MEMBERSHIP in a "POV_Ray organization".  Membership would maybe
>entitle you to access to the POV-Ray newsgroups, or maybe a newsletter or
>POV magazine.  Or it might be advisable <gasp!> to make POV-Ray shareware.
>I'd rather pay for what I'm getting and be able to GET IT than to loose
>access to the resources you're providing.
.... I agree on the entire line, expect in one point.
Pov-Ray should remian free software.
But we can support Pov Web sites throught the "Pov ray organization" you proposed. It
can have an annual fee which includes a Pov Magazine, together with a Web Magazine
either sent to members of the organization.
Another idea is to retrict download of big files from povray.org sites, i.e.: allow
direct download only to registred members, because bandwidht does cost a lot. Other
people can always download Pov and related stuffs for its mirrors.
We now have lots of mirrors spreaded in the world.
And people going always to povray.org
It's possible to redirect request for big files (i.e. >30 Kb) to mirrors which are
often manteined by Internet Service Provider which have interest in maintaining faster
access to sites thourght mirroring.
Or it's possible to directly redirect everyone to the nearest mirror, looking at their
emails (for domains)... it can be done with a smart Cgi script.
These are all solutions that allow us to set down very quickly the need for bandwidht,
redirecting them smartly to other sources of information.

/ Redaelli Paolo EMail: red### [at] incit | Known as Tybor on #Amiga, \
| POV-Team Amiga                        | #AmIrc and #AmigaIta      |
| Fantasy home page: http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/4950     |