POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Area lights vs spotlight : Re: Area lights vs spotlight Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area lights vs spotlight
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 20 May 2005 07:06:23
Message: <20050520120623.50c58429@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
> I'm not sure how spotlights are coded, but I would assume they
> calculate the inner and outer radius and then the intermediate results
> are calculated with some mathematical function. Can't a similar
> approach be used for *shadows*? Use the extreme points of the area
> light to determine maximum and minimum shadowing and apply some
> mathematical function inbetween, rather than banding it with
> intermediate lights? (I guess a similar effect could be obtained by
> using spotlights instead of point lights inside the area light)
But how would a point between full illumination and full darkness know
how far it is from either? It is easy with spotlights: you just find the
off-axis angle for the light, and subtract angles. With shadows, you
don't know what the full shadow and full illumination angles are,
because they depend on the other objects.

--
Now  as he walked by the sea  of Galilee,  he saw  Simon and Andrew  his
brother casting a spam into the net:  for they were phishers.  And Jesus