POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : trouble with media.cpp again - someone explain to me : trouble with media.cpp again - someone explain to me Server Time
26 Jun 2024 16:55:02 EDT (-0400)
  trouble with media.cpp again - someone explain to me
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 11 Jan 2005 12:08:34
Message: <20050111170834.37461c6e@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
In the media code, what exactly is the difference between the
global_light_list and the local_light_list? At first I thought the
global_light_list contained all the lights defined at top-level in the
soure (i.e. the lights that affect all objects), and the
local_light_list contained all the lights that only affect the given
object. But if this is the case, why is it the same local_light_list?
When it is simulating several media (associated with different objects)
at once, how does it deal with different objects having different sets
of lights they are affected by?
Maybe my understanding of multiple objects is flawed. As I understand
it, Simulate_Media is called once for each 'segment' of homogenous ray,
(where by segment I mean a length of ray bounded at either end by
entering or leaving a medium), and it passes the sample_media functions
a list of all the media covering this segment, even if the media are
inside different objects. Is this correct or am I completely mixed up?

When POV 4 is released, I hope it is better commented. :~-(
Daniel

--
  ,^--^.      ,-----.      Never meddle in the affairs of angry cats,
 ( +  + )-----   ---'      for they are well-armed and quick to bite.