POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : oddity in media.cpp : Re: oddity in media.cpp Server Time
2 Jul 2024 09:46:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: oddity in media.cpp
From: Daniel Hulme
Date: 18 Oct 2004 07:45:17
Message: <20041018124517.2f7994db@dh286.pem.cam.ac.uk>
> There's a saying at least in Finnish (which I don't know if exists in
> English) about several cooks cooking the same soup. It tries to

Yes, it does exist in English, in the form 'Too many cooks spoil the
broth.' Broth is a kind of halfway thing between soup and stew.

As for the debate that my post seems to have sparked, I can sympathise
with the POV-Team's complaints: I have experienced similar things on
other projects, and the XMMS team has on their website somewhere a log
from the #xmms channel which is a brilliant example of why open source
is bad. However, I think the POV-Team could do a little more to
encourage people to help out, even if it is to just be a bit more
friendly in receiving suggestions and ideas. Surely the views of the
users are important in a redesign; even if you have to filter out a lot
of them, the good ideas are often enough to make up for the inane ones.
There is a book called 'Programming as if People Mattered' which focuses
on UI design and the programmer-user interface. It has a chapter called
'Listen to Your Users, but Ignore What They Say'. I find that to be a
useful maxim, as what users tell you they want is not really what they
want, as people have been complaining about their bosses in p.o-t.

As for me personally, I am committed to doing my project now, and I will
make the final output available. What gets done with it after that,
whether it is incorporated or ignored, does not greatly bother me. At
the risk of becoming o-t myself, I'd better sign off here.

Daniel

--
A most peculiar man    With the windows closed      And Mrs Reardon says
He died last Saturday  So he'd never wake up  He has a brother somewhere