POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : STAR-POV SMP-Renderer and DXF->POV Freeware Concerter looking for programmers : Re: STAR-POV SMP-Renderer and DXF->POV Freeware Concerter looking for programmers Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:16:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: STAR-POV SMP-Renderer and DXF->POV Freeware Concerter looking for programmers
From: Riccardo
Date: 25 Jun 2004 04:44:07
Message: <20040625104407424+0200@news.povray.org>
In <40dbe24a$1@news.povray.org> Theo Gottwald *** wrote:
> Ricardo has some projects "on hold", which really sound promissing.

one of them is a DXF to POVRAY converter, which works but has bugs in
the smoothing code that I cannot pinpoint (to allow smoothing of
polygons). Smoothing can be disabled and then it works fine.
This project is command-line I am in the process of making a GUI for
MacOS and Linux/*BSD. Other platforms may follow later.
This project is "on hold" only because I wasn't capable to find the
smoothing bug alone.

> About them is a distributed rendering utility, in functionality and
> limitations similar to SMPOV, but in C (portable) which is also
> capable of  direct TCP/IP Connections. I don't know the actual state
> but so far he told me, it should be "ready to  render" but not ready
> to be released.
It has successfully rendered several scenes. It can render in a LAN but
also over the internet. It can try to load-balance if the computer have
different speeds. At the moment it has only a command-line interface
which is quite "unfriendly" that should be finished and maybe a simple
gui would be good too..
The good thing is that being a research-project there is actually some
documentation for other people to read :)

> If anyone ever had the idea of making something around this projects,
> don't  re-invent the wheel yourself, take a look at what riccardo did
> maybe we'll  soon see new intresting contributions to the POV-
> Community.
If interests arises and other users join and help to develop, I would
contribute myself again.
The Star-POV project was a research about distributed computing, so once
it worked I had no more reasons to allocate time for it (unfortunately....)

So don't be afraid to ask me some questions.

Take care,
	Riccardo