POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : What is this HDRI thing? : Re: What is this HDRI thing? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 16:02:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What is this HDRI thing?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 4 Jan 2003 06:19:12
Message: <20030104121910.2ef8c47b.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On Fri, 3 Jan 2003 20:02:03 -0500
"Dennis Miller" <dhm### [at] attbicom> wrote:

> Thank for your reply. Where is the message in which Jamie describes
> this technique> I must have missed it.

 The basic trick consists on using a surrounding sphere with a
multilayer texture like this one (more or less, I'm still
experimenting with it):

--
// "back-lighting" layer
texture{
 pigment{
  image_map{
   jpeg "test.jpg"
   map_type 1
   interpolate 2
  }
 }
 finish{
  diffuse 0
  ambient light_ambient
 }
}
// 254 layers to fake the HDR behavoir
texture{
 pigment{
  image_map{
   gif "test.gif"  // grayscale version of the original map
   map_type 1
   #while (il<254)
//    transmit 255-il max_intensity/(pow(il+1,2))
    filter 255-il max_intensity/(pow(il+1,2))
    #local il=il+1;
   #end
  }
 }
 finish{
  diffuse 0
  ambient 0
 }
}
// final layer to hide the grayscale maps
texture{
 pigment{
  image_map{
   jpeg "test.jpg"
   map_type 1
   interpolate 2
//   filter all .5
   filter all .9
  }
 }
 finish{
  diffuse 1
  ambient 1
 }
}
--

  The problem is that each map needs diferent settings that must be
found by trial and error. The advantage is that it can work with any

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org