POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Duplicate ? : Re: Duplicate ? Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:17:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Duplicate ?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 25 Nov 2002 10:14:46
Message: <20021125161445.2dba7058.jaimevives@ignorancia.org>
On 24 Nov 2002 12:02:23 -0500
"Rafal 'Raf256' Maj" <raf### [at] raf256com> wrote:

> I have following problem - I want to cover large area (about 1000x1000
>
> units) by grass, each grass "leaf" tooks about 1 unit space on ground,
> so I wolud need about 1 mln leafs.
> Each leaf is build from about 500 triangles, with gives 500,000,000
> triangles - way to much to hold in memory.
>
> So I thinked of optimisation :
> 1. every grass leaf is a mesh
> 2. organise 10x10 leafs into an union like GrassBlock
> 3. cover area (flat land) with same GrassBlock object
>
> problem is with step #3 - each :
>   object { GrassBlock translate <X,0,Z> }
> results in duplicating GrassBlock in memory - so no memroy is saved as
> I aspected.

  I had a similar problem with this scene:

    http://www.ignorancia.org/images/marjal.jpg

  and the less consuming solution was to actually move the
transformations from the grass patchs to the individual triangles, so
you can get a whole mesh for every grass patch, and then you can make a
union of these (with few but bigger meshes). Not that good as the
posibility of nesting meshes, but feasible, and the only solution that
worked for my 512MB.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia