POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-City : Re: POV-City Server Time
7 Aug 2024 09:20:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV-City
From: Matt Walton
Date: 11 Dec 2001 14:30:57
Message: <20011211.193101.1704365084.14587@alledora.co.uk>
In article <3C15F2BB.55D7CA71@namtar.qub.ac.uk>, "s1631001"
<s16### [at] namtarqubacuk> wrote:

> Matt Walton wrote:

> The only things not allowed are those which cause serious offence (I'm
> sure you can think of an example relating to air traffic...); I can't
> see a flying saucer falling into that category :-]

Excellent. I will get to modelling right away :-)

>> b) how would I go about submitting it, as it clearly doesn't require a
>> plot
> Just mail me the model; note that vehicles don't need to be normalised
> to a box like structures do

Okay, I'll make sure to stick to the 1 POV = 1 metre convention to save
trouble :-)

>> Even a park-like plot filled with odd sculptures?
> Yep; anything goes. (see above)

That's good, because I've got a few of those floating around as well,
although i don't know how well they're going to turn out.

> I'm using MegaPOV 0.7 until a stable release of POV3.5 comes out, then
> I'll be switching to that.

I should be okay with 3.5b8 then - I doubt I'll be using much of the new
feature set, and hopefully what I do use will be the parts that have the
same syntax in 3.5 and MegaPOV.

> PVC_GroundTex will probably be some sort of granite ForestGreen thingy
> (unless anyone has better - no isotextures please!) for most of the
> year, but a nice white colour in winter (see the section on macros in
> http://www.geocities.com/greyknight3/pov_city.htm for more details on
> time in PVC-II)

What would be nice for the website is some indication of what kind of
values the macros will return under certain conditions, when I looked
yesterday there wasn't any - it wouldn't be much good if snowy sculpture
appeared when POV-City thinks it's the middle of summer!

> While we're on the subject of time... should the website: a:  display an
> image of PVC-II at the current time in the user's time zone
> b:  display an image of PVC-II at the current GMT time c:  display
> several images, at different times of day d:  display a daytime image
> with the option to switch to other times e:  [your suggestion here]

A, but with a choice so the user can see something else if they fancy it.

Matt