POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Green dominant? : Re: Green dominant? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:26:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Green dominant?
From: Giuseppe Bilotta
Date: 21 May 2005 04:58:29
Message: <1xk3oi9a88egi.1xu6nnfhf2yrv$.dlg@40tude.net>
On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:49:04 +0200, Alain wrote:

> Giuseppe Bilotta nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-05-20 08:32:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'm using POV-Ray 3.6.1a.icl8.win32 on a Windows XP Pro system. One
>> thing that I notice is that there is an apparent strong green dominant
>> in some colors. For example, the Yellow rgb color comes up somewhat
>> greenish; the White itself has a grayish hue. Is this normal?
>>

> The colour balance of your monitor may be a little off. For some peoples, a yellow
of aditive red
> and green, mixed at aqual part, will apears reenish, for other, it will apear
redish.
> For the white (value rgb 1,1,1) it can apear gray if it's illumination is not 100%.
It will apear
> pure white if the finish is set to ambient 1 diffuse 0, the colour, in this case is
independent of
> any illumination. It's the brightest when the light is perpendicular to it's surface
and fade to
> almost black as the light incidence shift to parallel to it.
> So, both of your observations *can* be considered as "normal".
> To my eye, there is no green dominence and my eyes can be considered as normal as
your's or as those
> of someone who sees a red dominance for the same yellow.
> You may want to check if your system have any colour correction/management active.
and try disabling
> any. Also check the programm you use to view the images as it may default to some
colour correction
> you don't want or never use.

Thank you very much for your reply. Well, *my* eyes are absolutely
*not* as normal as yours, since I'm red/green colorblind. Which is why
it wasn't me but my girlfriend that noticed the green dominant (I'm
used to not see the red part of colors :D).

My video card has color correction capabilities, I'll look for some
screen calibration software to correct the problem. (Incidentally, the
viewer is just the internal one used by POV-Ray.)

--
Giuseppe "Oblomov" Bilotta

"A me me la compra il mio babbo"
(Altan)
("When I grow up, I will fight for peace"
 "I'll have my daddy buy it for me")