POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Fast preview for complex isosurfaces - 2 attachments : Re: Fast preview for complex isosurfaces - 2 attachments Server Time
26 Apr 2024 10:52:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fast preview for complex isosurfaces - 2 attachments
From: Greg Edwards
Date: 1 Jun 2003 14:47:22
Message: <1n8rv3o015mrh$.zua7ejv103in.dlg@40tude.net>
On 26 May 2003 18:34:13 -0400, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:

> I have experimented a little with Ryoichi Suzuki's
> "Density_File Extension Patch", available here:
>
> http://staff.aist.go.jp/r-suzuki/e/povray/iso/df_body.htm
>
> This POV-Ray patch has a feature for sampling functions
> and storing the result in a density file or in a pattern.
> (The patch will interpolate values when "reading" back
> values at locations between the sample points.)
>
> I have used this feature to sample complex functions for
> isosurfaces and store the results in pattern functions.
>
> When these sampled functions are used in isosurfaces they
> render quite fast compared to the functions I started with.
> (I have experienced 3 to 6 times faster renderings.)
>
> The "previews" give a very good indication of how the final
> isosurface shapes will be.
>
> I have enclosed two images to illustrate the results.
>
> The image marked FINAL rendered in 2 minutes and 33 seconds,
> while the image marked "PREVIEW" rendered in 47 seconds.
>

> Tor Olav

That looks like a good previewing technique for isosurfaces although I can
see some voxel artifacts in the preview image particularly around the
smooth surfaces. I'm still quite hopeful that tesselation could make for
good isosurface approximation (recalling an older thread about that) but if
not, this method looks quite promising. ;-)

--
light_source#macro G(E)sphere{z+E*y*5e-3.04rotate-z*E*6pigment{rgbt#end{
20*y-10#local n=162;1}#while(n)#local n=n-.3;G(n)x}}G(-n).7}}#end//GregE