POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board : Re: SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board Server Time
5 Jul 2024 09:35:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SMPOV Version 1 is ready * Distribute your picture over 600 CPU's or render it on your DUAL Board
From: ABX
Date: 14 Aug 2002 11:12:58
Message: <1mqkluorr8v7o8o595819muo05bjkpfmej@4ax.com>
On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 16:28:45 +0200, "Theo Gottwald *"
<The### [at] t-onlinede> wrote:
> > In example I don't want to forbid to login other users during rendering.
>
> Is not necessary. At the moment you have to be logged on and POV-Ray must be
running.
> Under Windows XP you have more options cause you can have one users programms
running while
> another user is logged on. The second user cannot see what programs the first user
has running.

I don't have Windows XP. I have a few admins and each one login for his tasks.
I don't want each user to be logged all the time. I don't want to not use
power when nobody is logged.

> > How agent behaves when povray crashes during parsing/rendering ?
>
> If the PC crashes, Agent may try a recover.

will agent start automatically ?

> IF ONLY the POV process is ended, the RenderAgent thinks POV Ray has ended (what is
infact the case) and continues

can't it validate image if it is correct ?

> > How could I try it withot knowing if I shoud start something ;-)
>
> Download the archive, start the "SMPOV1.exe" it will unpack to all the necessary
files and the Readme.txt.

Can you distribute it as zip ? Have I really to start exe to get txt ?

> > Can I set some priority of agent similiar to priority of POV-Ray (render
> > priority, gui priority, duty cycles) ?
>
> Currently not, I did not need that till now.

That's a useful feature.

> > How it behave when some agent would be lost/unplugged ?
>
> If you plan to "unplug" an Agent

I don't mean intentional unplugging but crash of computer or kill from other
user.

> > I know I can find answers installing it but I don't have testing network. I have
working and important network. I have to know as much as possible before
> > installation.
>
> I can understand that. Just ask. Its your good right to know all necessary before
running an "unknownn exe".
> Do the following: Run SMPOV.exe on your Main-PC and run !

isn't SMPOV.exe kind of "unknownn exe" ?

> > Becouse license of programming tool tells different ?
>
> I don't deliver the programming tool.

You use programming tool according to its license but I suppose if you have it
legal you distribute it legal.

> > I can't install personal firewall on company database server :-)
>
> I cannot really recommend to put POV 3.5 to rendering on a company database-server.

Why ? With low priority and with save settings on system...
My database-server has 2 GB RAM, 2 procs, >1GHz only 4% of power used for
database. If I can use it safe why not ? The question is: can I use it safe ?

> Small, strong, no installation necessary. Inline ASM when needed. Multithreading ...

...not portable, compiler dependand, community with interest is different than
community with programming knowledge

> Thats code from me.

Isn't that only calls to runtime library ?

ABX