POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : Crash after 63 frames? : Re: Crash after 63 frames? Server Time
28 Sep 2024 16:51:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Crash after 63 frames?
From: Yvo Smellenbergh
Date: 30 Oct 2003 12:46:43
Message: <1g3nnmc.1xb0c5u1p8fg34N%yvos.s@gmx.net>
Scott Gammans <dee### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> I am trying to run a rather long animation job (750 frames) on my G5
> workstation (OS X 10.2.7, *not* Panther) using MacMegaPOV Carbon 1.0, and
> without fail the job poops out after rendering 63 frames. I have the start
> and end frames set to 638 and 1388 respectively, but after 63 frames
> MacMegaPOV crashes and dies.
I can not give you an answer right now but I will start such an
animation an see what it does.
Is it something you can repeat or is it with one specific scene?
 If so, send that scene to me if that is possible for you.

> I learned a long time ago on the Windows version of regular (unpatched)
> POV-Ray to not run a long animation batch inside POV-Ray because it doesn't
> release the memory it allocates before starting another frame. Instead, I
Even if that were to be true (but it is not) you would not notice this
so soon on OS X.
You would need a scene which uses a *huge* amount of memory.
If you want to verify this you can run top in the terminal and watch
memory consumption for MegaPOV.

> run POV-Ray from the command line and feed it one frame at a time, thereby
> ensuring that POV-Ray releases any allocated memory as it exits after
> rendering each frame (my model uses a *lot* of texture, image and bump maps
> and consumes 500+ MB of memory to render 1 frame). But since there is no
> command line in Macintosh, I don't see any other alternative than to run
> animation jobs inside MacMegaPOV.
Command line on a Mac..... Are you serious ? ;-) :-)
If you wait for MegaPOV 1.1 you will be able to compile such a version
without any problems.
There are indeed quite a few people interested for such a version.

> Any suggestions??
More info? First thing to know is if this happens with a simple scene as
well.
That is always the first step.

Yvo

--